Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Indiana: My Prison

The following was sent to us via the "Tell Us Your Story" form and posted with the users permission.

By TJ420:
I was convicted of "Sexual Misconduct with a Minor" in mid 2001. I was 23 and my girlfriend was 17. Legal age of consent in Indiana is 16. I was sentenced to 6 years of prison time. I did 6 months in the county jail, 2.5 years in prison, 5 years probation, and 10 years on the registry. Finding a job wasn't easy at all, and I have several years experience as a welder, auto-body technician, roofer, and machine operator. Pretty much, the only jobs I could find were "under the table jobs"! In most cases, as soon as I said something about being on the registry, I was booted out the door, got the "we don't have anything at this time!", or not given the chance to explain the situation! My 10 years on the registry completely sucked! I dealt with it, though it was extremely hard at times. Many times I contemplated ending my life. I always thought twice about it though. I have 2 kids and a wife, so I knew that was NOT an option! I am still with the woman I got this charge over and we have 2 kids together. After being let off the registry after 10 years, it took another 3 or 4 months to get myself removed from other random private/public registries.(to anyone who only has the 10 year registry, when you're released, make sure you check the internet for other registries!) I have since got a really good job as a welder/fabricator. I am, however, confined to the state of Indiana. The reason I say this, is because, if I move to another state, I have to re-register as a sex offender for another 10 years, or in some cases, for life. That's the case for most states that I have researched. I think I have paid my debt to society, plain and simple! I have not re-offended and have no reason to, I work everyday, and I support my wife and kids. I look at it like this; dating a younger woman may have been a mistake/wrong in some peoples eyes, but in mine, well, we're still together and have two beautiful, very smart kids, and my wife is 100% faithful, as am I! And I will say this, Indiana's SO rules and regulations are the most lenient of the 40 some states I researched, in my opinion, that is.

No comments :