|Anthony J. Hansen|
By Todd Cooper
A former prisoner has sued the State of Nebraska after a prison guard sexually assaulted him.
Among the allegations, the ex-prisoner — a 31-year-old Douglas County man — said prison officials repeatedly doubted his story that a guard had sexually assaulted him.
Then he produced something to prove it: a napkin containing the guard's “bodily fluids.”
That resulted in the sexual assault conviction of Anthony J. Hansen, 29, a former Omaha Correctional Center guard.
It also resulted in the lawsuit against the state.
According to the prisoner's lawsuit, filed last month, and court records in Douglas County:
In December 2011, the prisoner was sent to the Omaha Correctional Center in east Omaha after his theft conviction.
Hansen immediately approached the prisoner, who had served prison time under him before.
Hansen told the man that if he “did not comply with his sexual requests, Hansen would cause plaintiff to lose good time or be placed in disciplinary segregation,” Omaha attorney Julie Jorgensen wrote in the lawsuit. “Based on previous encounters . . . plaintiff took the conversation as a threat to his future release.”
On Dec. 10, 2011, Hansen approached the prisoner in the cafeteria “with the proposition to meet in the chapel to engage in sexual activity.”
Hansen later approached the prisoner and told him there were cameras in the chapel and they should meet in the commons area.
The prisoner tried to avoid Hansen, but Hansen continued to talk about having sex and continued to make comments about the prisoner's parole date.