Saturday, January 4, 2014

Compliance Check

User story
The following was sent to us via the CONTACT form and posted with the users permission.

By K:
I just had my first compliance check in the 3 years that I've lived at my current residence. It was done by the county sheriff's office and was not affiliated with the US Marshalls nor the state registering authority (state police). I politely verified and provided all information that I knew was already on file (name, ssn, etc.). The officer then asked me who I was living with which I had never been asked to disclose during registration and knew it was not a requirement in the registration statute. I politely told him that by law I was not required to provide that information. He then said if I did not answer his question he would record me and non-compliant. I reiterated that I was not required to tell him who I was living with. He then made a note saying I was not being cooperative, checked me off as non-compliant, and told me someone would be coming back to verify the information I refused to disclose to him. I said that is fine and he left.

I am assuming that his non-cooperative and non-compliant notation as well as threatening to come back were just scare tactics. After all, if I was required to disclose that information and refused to he would have been able to arrest me on the spot.


No comments :