|Allison Hope Weiner|
The real life special victims unit and handling of incest and other sexual crimes by the Los Angeles Sheriff's department under Lee Baca is discussed with retired LA County Sheriff's Lt. Thomas Sirkel. We discuss the intentional minimizing of investigation against incest and child abuse by the Sheriff's department, and the media involvement in child abuse cases during To Catch A Predator in this Media Mayhem with host Allison Hope Weiner.
- 00:01 Welcome to Media Mayhem.
- 01:00 Introducing Thomas Sirkel.
- 02:20 Sirkel explains his limited resources at the L.A. Sheriff's Department and his reason for leaving.
- 06:00 Open cases in the Special Victims Unit due to a lack of resources and interference by Sheriff Lee Baca.
- 09:50 Baca's thesis and his secret efforts to decriminalize cases of incest.
- 17:30 The impact of incest, and Baca and Deputy Tanaka's lack of protection for child abuse victims.
- 23:30 Sirkel explains Tanaka's role in Baca's department and the corruption therein.
- 26:30 "To Catch a Predator" and using the press as a means of law enforcement.
- 34:40 What resources should voters demand for the sheriff's department?
- 40:10 Thanks and goodbye.