Saturday, February 23, 2013

In today's insane world where all are guilty and must prove their innocent, this is all it takes to ruin your life!


Chris Hinton, Son Of Sex Offender: Father 'Went From Role Model To Worst Person'

Original Article
Watch the full interview here

02/22/2013

By Lindsay Wilkes-Edrington

Registered sex offenders are subjected to years of public embarrassment and scrutiny, but they aren't the only ones impacted by their crime. Their spouses and children suffer as well.

On HuffPost Live this week, Chris Hinton shared his story of discovering his father's secret and the impact it has had on his life. Hinton told HuffPost Live's Nancy Redd that the day he found out was "without a doubt" the worst day of his life. It all started with a phone call from his mother, who broke the news that his father was under investigation for molesting a child at the church where he served as part-time minister.

"With one phone call," Hinton said, "you have your father, your mentor, he was my minister at one point, my friend, role model, you have all that taken away."

Hinton's father pleaded guilty to eight counts of molestation and is now serving a 30-year minimum sentence in prison. Hinton told HuffPost Live that it has been 1 1/2 years since he first found out and that he's just now coming around to corresponding with his father occasionally through letters. Hinton says he also hopes to turn his family's tragedy into something positive by becoming an advocate for other families that are struggling to get their lives back together.


MN - Sex Offender Program continues to grow, as state faces court order to change

Original Article

02/22/2013

By Rupa Shenoy

ST. PAUL - The people held at the Minnesota's facility for sex offenders in Moose Lake live on a 29-acre "campus" surrounded by two barbed-wire-topped fences.

Under constant supervision, most of the offenders agreed late last year to start wearing location tracking devices around their ankles.

"It gives at least some amount of freedom to move about in the facility without having to be constantly escorted by staff," said Anne Barry, deputy commissioner of the state Department of Human Services, which oversees the 18-year-old Minnesota Sex Offender Program.

Barry said the $1.2 million dollar tracking bracelet system was designed to maintain a therapeutic environment for an expanding population. Every year, the program makes room for about 50 new offenders committed by county courts. Until last year, it released none of them.

Civil liberties advocates and others have long criticized Minnesota for indefinitely holding in secure facilities sex offenders who have served their time in prison, but whom county prosecutors and judges think may commit crimes again. Last year state officials acknowledged the Minnesota Sex Offender Program needs to find a way to release offenders once they have been rehabilitated. They formed a task force that has held hearings to determine how to change the program.

But a DHS report (PDF) to the legislature shows that local officials continue to funnel sex offenders into the program, prompting the state to spend millions to expand the facilities needed to house them.

After offenders in the program filed a class action lawsuit, a federal judge in August ordered the state of Minnesota to show the treatment it was providing could lead to rehabilitation and release.

Meanwhile, according to a new legislative report, county prosecutors and judges committed 41 people to the sex offender program in 2012. Most of the 678 offenders inside opted to participate in treatment, but the clinical professionals assigned to help them kept leaving. When independent consultants hired by the state visited Moose Lake, they found that 18 of 65 clinical positions were vacant. Just one offender graduated to the last phase of treatment, where 10 people are now preparing for release.

"I think there are people who could advance an argument that if you had greater continuity, more staff, that we might be able to move people even quicker through phases of treatment," Barry acknowledged.

But she said it's very difficult for offenders to produce the character changes necessary to prove they're no longer a risk to the public, and that also could be slowing their progress through treatment.

The department is making an effort to retain personnel, but Barry said there is one big factor they can't change: the job is in Moose Lake, which she said is why many employees leave.

Eric Janus, dean of the William Mitchell College of Law, said state officials must find a way to move sex offenders through treatment and out of the facility if they want to satisfy the federal courts.

Department of Human Services Commissioner Lucinda Jesson named Janus to a task force to recommend ways to commit fewer offenders, release more people, and set up cheaper secure community options for those released.

"There's certainly been some changes, but when you look at the fundamentals, it's kind of business as usual," Janus said.

And the usual business is to plan for growth. The department recently completed a $47.5 million dollar expansion at Moose Lake. A $7 million dollar expansion at the program's other facility in St Peter is scheduled to be completed next year. Gov. Mark Dayton has asked the legislature for another $7.8 million for renovations. But the governor has warned that if the Minnesota Sex Offender Program doesn't change, it could be forcibly changed by the courts.
- Welcome to the new concentration camp, where you are forced to check in, and can never check out!

If things are to change for the Minnesota Sex Offender Program this year, legislation to overhaul it must be introduced within the few weeks, said state Sen. Kathy Sheran, DFL-Mankato.

Sheran, chair of the Senate Health, Human Services, and Housing Policy Committee, said the Senate has an unofficial March 15 deadline for substantial policy changes. She wants to make the deadline, but is waiting to receive the task force's recommendations.

"The court is asking for us to show progress," she said. "The legislature needs to be responsive to that. It can't just ignore that."


TX - District attorney calls laws against juvenile sex offenders outdated

Original Article

02/22/2013

By Ryan Wolf (Facebook)

Tough talk from Cameron County's District Attorney Luis Saenz who calls current state laws dealing with juvenile offenders out-of-touch with reality.

"We need to make changes to the juvenile code that take into account that the juvenile of right now is not the same one," he said. "The juvenile of 2013 is committing horrendous acts, murdering people, butchering people and committing crimes that are unspoken and unheard of."

He says Texas laws against juveniles haven't changed since the early 1970's.

"The code contemplated that the juvenile to have the frame of mind to be stealing hub-caps or maybe breaking into a car," the district attorney said.

It's a far cry from the recent case of a teen who admitted to sexually abusing a 5-year-old girl in Harlingen.

The 16-year-old boy was ordered to rehab at a treatment center south of Austin that deals with sexual behavior issues.

A judge refused to order him to register as a sex offender causing outrage not only with the victim's family but with the public as well.

Thousands of people turned to social media sites like Facebook to voice their frustration.

Many blamed the judge in the case.

The district attorney says to blame the law.

"It's human nature that we all want to blame somebody," Luis said. "We all want to take it out on somebody. But I think taking it out on the judge is misplaced. Again, he followed the law. He followed the code as it's supposed to be followed."

In the last 46 juvenile sex abuse cases in Cameron County, Luis says none have resulted in the offender having to register as a sex offender because the focus has been on trying to save them.

"That may be easy to understand in theory, but when you apply it to actual life, when you have a 5-year-old that's been violated, then the theory falls apart," Luis said.

It's a frustrating reality he hopes to see changed.

The parents of the 5-year-old who was sexually abused have reached out to Senator Eddie Lucio II.

They're urging him to file legislation to make punishments stiffer for juvenile sex offenders.

The district attorney urges others to contact their local legislator to take similar action.