Friday, December 20, 2013

SC - Corrections officer (Nicolas Sheldon Brown) arrested for sexually abusing minor

Nicolas Sheldon Brown
Nicolas Sheldon Brown
Original Article

12/20/2013

By Jason Old

RICHLAND COUNTY (WIS) - A South Carolina Department of Corrections officer has been arrested and charged with criminal sexual conduct with a minor, according to Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott.

Lott said 34-year-old Nicolas Sheldon Brown was arrested and charged on Friday after investigators determined that he was sexually abusing a young girl since 2009.

The sheriff said the abuse began when the alleged victim was 10-years-old and continued until this year.

Lott characterized girl as a hero, "because she had the courage to talk to her School Resource Officer and ask for help."

A Department of Corrections spokesperson said Brown has been with the department for eight years.

Brown is a sergeant in the reception and evaluation department at the Kirkland facility in the maximum security unit.

He is on administrative suspension without pay.

Brown was transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center where he awaits a bond hearing.


3 comments :

Dave said...

I am also from Michigan and my offense happened in 2002 and the new laws are pure genocide. I absolutely have had exactly the same things you are talking about happen to my family. It has almost killed my children and I had to raise them by myself with the government listing my employer and then verifying my employment until I lost my good paying job and home.

I don't think people realize the Michigan laws are genocide laws. They are designed to make you homeless, broke and they go after your children and family.

Scott said...

I'm not sure where to start with this. If you we're convicted in 2005 how have 20 yrs passed? How could your status as a RSO impact your wife's ability to travel to and from the United States? The United States would not prevent any citizen to leave the country simply for being a RSO. Many countries may deny you entry but that is not exclusive to RSOs.

What you need to do is acquire a skill set that will allow you to make money without having to work a traditional job. An idea to start would be to visit freelancer.com. You could look through independent job offers and see if any interest you. Then put in the time to learn the skills needed and start bidding on jobs. It's a great way to make extra cash. The most successful people, RSO or not, never stop learning.

Setting that aside though you could still go out and apply for any job despite your conviction. Recent changes in EEOC guidelines are making many employers remove the question "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" from the application. Many employers don't conduct background checks anyway and just use the question to disqualify people. At the very least you will get an interview if your application is otherwise good and will have an opportunity to explain yourself.

Brief rundown of EEOC
-An employer can not deny employment SOLEY based on conviction
-Must consider time since offense
-Must consider relationship of crime to type of work

Anyway despite your record if you put the work in you over come this. I got convicted at 18 and really thought I was screwed. I decided right then to work twice as hard as all my friends so that I would have a fighting chance. I went to college got a bachelors degree in business and IT and landed a good job. In a lot of ways I got lucky (one living in Ohio and not Michigan) and meeting really great people along the way that helped me out. If I can do it so can you, apply yourself and check out that website I made good money on it in college.

Also if Michigan is really contacting your employer to verify you work there that is insane and doesn't happen in Ohio. Consider moving if possible.

lemmony said...

actually it was 1995 it was a typo on my part.sorry. i was so frustrated and the pain was a bit intense putting type to feelings.