Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I discovered that the purpose of imprisonment is not about rehabilitation--it is about punishment.

User story
The following was sent to us via the USER STORY form and posted with the users permission.

By ACitizen:
In 1985, I was convicted of 1 count each of sexual contact with my stepdaughter and her friend. They were both under 14. Though we as a family had tried to get therapy and counseling, we found that newly-passed laws prevented help or therapy--it was to be a criminal matter instead.

I discovered that the purpose of imprisonment is not about rehabilitation--it is about punishment.

After paroling, in the late 80s,, I then endured the constant changes in sex offender registration laws that coursed through California throughout the 90s, including the 3 Strikes Law passed in the early 90s.

In 2001, I decided that only thing for me to do would be to move to a new state in order to remove the lifetime requirement that had existed in California starting in 1948. I researched all state sex offender registration laws of the remaining 49 states, discovering that there were quite a few states (at that time in 2001) who had time limits on their registrations. I decided to move from California to start a new life.

[To Be Continued... Maybe]


No comments :