Wednesday, September 11, 2013

WA - Freedom by Brandon

User submitted story
The following was sent to us via the contact form and posted with the users permission.

By Brandon:
With all the negativity that is exposed in this blog, I figured I would give you a story of hope.

I was 11 years old when I committed my offense. I was in 5th grade and active in pop warner football. My team went undefeated and I was in the best shape of my life. I was just a boy with my whole life ahead of me. I made some poor choices and made a massive mistake that has been haunting me well into adulthood. I broke the law and committed a sex offense.

I am now in my 30's and working an awful job. Sometimes it is difficult to wake up and everything reminds you of the fact that you are a sex offender. It haunts you and makes you timid, scared that someone may find your secret out and you will once again be stripped of any dignity that you hold dear. It was getting unbearable and weighed heavily on my soul. I lost jobs, friends, romantic partners and, most importantly, I lost myself. That is until I researched into what I could do about it....

My offense was in Washington state and their sex offender laws are about as strict as they come. As an 11 year old sex offender, I was told that I would spend the rest of my natural life registering with local law enforcement and I would be banished to a life on the run. Since I was so young, the laws permitted me to not only relieve myself of my registration requirements, but also allowed me to seal my records. I can't express the joy I felt once I found this out. I hired a lawyer (Mark Blair) who specialized in this who was not only professional, but was very sympathetic to my situation. I went through a polygraph and a risk assessment test. I nailed the polygraph and the assessment. I was, as of yesterday, free of my scarlet letter. I wept for hours, realizing that I can once again look forward to life. Just knowing that I had a chance was invigorating!

I did it. I am free. I am 32 and I now have a shot at life. I hope this inspires some of you to show that we aren't monsters.

CONGRATULATIONS!


9 comments :

CharlesHiggins said...

The static 99 is often held up as a tool for measuring the probability of my re-offending. The higher your score the higher the probability. My score: 0 but I live in a state with lifetime registration for those with victims younger than 14. I am paying off my legal expenses so I can apply for a pardon. In Iowa where I offended a pardon does not remove you from the registry. Here where I am now it does.

anonymous said...

Congrats! As someone who also was removed from the registry, after things settle down I would recommend that you do internet searches for your name, your address, your license plate number and especially look at maps--it's taken me two months of filling out requests for removals, emailing websites, etc. to get almost everything removed from the web (with the exception of poedit and sorarchives). Funny that the most difficult was getting the map info of my house removed from the state registry and the national registry--that took almost 8 weeks. Be diligent and take back your life!

dlc said...

Way to Go!

Loneranger said...

What state are you in? Let us know how you make out.

CharlesHiggins said...

I live in the state of Mississippi.

Guest said...

I am wondering if you have had any interaction with http://www.criminalsearches.com or heard of them? Info appreciated.


You know sorarchives is currently being sued for displaying information of people no longer required to register or never were? I am sure they could use contributions to the legal fund...

Tom said...

Congratulations! To you all for sure. My story is not so happy, As I spent $3,500 to "Try and get off the registry" Here in Oregon but failed. Not that I am even considered a danger, In fact the DA and the Judge BOTH said that I am NOT even a danger it is the way things are worded or taken. I have lost due to a technicality and nothing short of throwing tons of cash on this (That I do not have) will help. So my story of "Having a life" Is still yet to be read. I am one still in hell! But hope some day to be set free.

Scott said...

Sorarchives will remove you for 400-500 depending on offense. They will leave your links and pics up but right clicking them then clicking copy shortcut and pasting into googles removal tool will get rid of them. Or just wait for the lawsuit to play out. Poedit is a different matter. I assume they are in league with a reputation management company and that is the only way to remove your info as their removal tool doesn't work and their email address doesn't accept mail. They are registered by domainsbyproxy so you can't get their Whois info. They are based out of California I'm going to contact lawyers there next month to sue for defamation which will get me the site owners name and number. Hopefully the owner of this Blog will post it for everyone to call.

Scott said...

They appear to be a start up. They make money by referring people to companies like instacheck and then get a portion of the money you spend there. Also sell people's info to 3rd parties no doubt. Their site interface is pretty bad so they may not make it.