Wednesday, September 11, 2013

UK - Nigel Evans quits as Deputy Commons Speaker after being charged with rape and sex assaults

Nigel Evans
Nigel Evans
Original Article


He was arrested for a third time yesterday and questioned after two more men accused him of attacks, bringing the total to seven

Top Tory Nigel Evans (Website) was charged last night with rape and sex assaults on seven men.

The Deputy Commons Speaker, 55, was arrested for a third time yesterday and questioned after two more men accused him of attacks, bringing the total to seven.

All were in their 20s when they claim they were assaulted by Mr Evans in incidents dating back up to a decade.

After being charged, Mr Evans resigned as Deputy Speaker but rejected all the accusations.

Speaking outside Preston police station, he said: “I have today answered bail following complaints I said were incredulous.”

Whilst I’m saddened this case has not been closed today, I am certain of two things: Firstly that I am innocent, secondly, that my innocence will be demonstrated.”

Having informed my fellow Deputy Speakers, Lindsay Hoyle and Dawn Primarolo, my association chairman and my staff, I can confirm I will now resign as Deputy Speaker.”

He said he would continue in his role as Ribble Valley MP, then added: “After today I will not be making any further comment until after the case concludes.”

The Crown Prosecution Service said: “Following a Lancashire police investigation, the CPS has received a file of evidence in the case of Mr Nigel Evans MP which concerns allegations of a sexual nature.”

We have concluded that there is sufficient evidence to prosecute Mr Evans.”

He has been charged with two counts of indecent assault, five counts of sexual assault and one count of rape, relating to a total of seven alleged victims.”

Mr Evans arrived at the police station just before 9am in a silver Jaguar driven by his solicitor. The MP smiled at journalists, saying: “Thanks for coming.”

The MP was first arrested in May over claims of rape and indecent assault from two men who said the attacks took place in Pendleton in his Lancashire constituency between 2009 and March 2013.

Swansea-born Mr Evans was arrested again in June over three more claims of sex assault in Blackpool and London between 2003-2011.

He had stayed in his £103,000-a-year post despite standing back from his duties since his first arrest.

Pals said he had resigned to focus on his defence.

The MP, who came out as gay in 2010, will face Preston magistrates court on September 18.


Loneranger said...

Well they have their own politicians with skeletons rattling away in the closet. those vile sex offenders oh hey never mind what I do. And so it goes and it isn't just in the UK it's every place that has politicians and sex offenders. Gee was he also abused as a child? Has this warped his perception of what is right and wrong? Influenced how laws were written and applied? Makes one wonder doesn't it.

Sex Offender Issues said...

I was abused as a child as well, but I've never committed a sexual crime or sexual harassment.

Every persons abuse is different, some may experience drastic abuse and emotional issues, but for me, it did not cause major problems for me, although my abuse didn't last long either, and the person who did it is in prison now, for another crime, and I've personally forgave them for what they did to me and others.

I don't let the abuse define me, I've forgave and moved on with my life, but that is just me.

Mark said...


Mark said...

"I was abused as a child as well, but I've never committed a sexual crime or sexual harassment." YOU ARE FORTUNATE.

Sex Offender Issues said...

Yes I am.

Loneranger said...

No one ever said that everyone that is abused will abuse. the point I make is when someone is abused many times it will develope into that person abusing or influencing abuse due to the influence it has on a person and how they see the world. Given some and I would say you are the exception and not the rule can and will recover so it doesn't have a negative effect on them. Gets down to learned core beliefs that need to be realigned. Many that think they have it under control and it doesn't influence how they perceive the world maybe the ones that either act out based on their distorted core beliefs or knowing or unknowing inflict these beliefs on others. Possible setting these people up to abuse. having said this look at our politicians and wonder how many make laws based on their altered core beliefs. Nothing is black and white as politicians want us to believe. the gray areas that they want to stay away from are where all humans will remain.