Thursday, June 20, 2013

FL - Not ordered to register but Florida made me anyway

The following was sent to us via the contact form and posted with the users permission.

By James Coulton:
I was in the state of Maryland and falsely arrested and charged with a 4th degree misdemeanor by a woman who claimed to be my friends daughters mother . I sat in jail for months and couldn't get hold of anyone. my public defender was completely useless, I tried to fire him but he wouldn't let me. I was so scared that he would have me convicted due to his incompetence. He finally told me that if i were to plea guilty to a misdemeanor then I would be released that day and to come to his office to start the appeal process and overturn the verdict. he lied to me. I was never ordered to register as a sex offender though. the probation officers made me call them every day or face jail. I wasn't from Maryland and had nowhere to live and nobody would hire me. I am from Ft Meyers and went back there. I was assaulted and mugged at Ft Meyers beach, and hospitalized for a month because of broken bones in my head and face.

Even though it was a confidential hospitas called lee county mental health. a receptionist there named regina went through my records and called a deputy named foreman to take me out of bed and to jail to register. he took me to jail and told me that if i didnt sign those papers then i would be arrested and charged with a felony. i needed to get back to bed and my medication so i did as told from fear of the medical treatment in jail.

I was told that Maryland had passed an ex post facto law requireing me to register there. from that point on I was forced to pay 35 dollars every time that i slept in a bed for more than two days. I couldnt get a job or find anyone who would rent to me. my job of more than ten years couldnt hire me back because of it. after being tired and dirty for months after being released I couldnt take it, and asked how to be removed from the list. it was for ten years. the officer in charge of my case said to move away.

I went to Kentucky where friends believe in me still. and was forced to register there too but only because Florida had made me. I did as told and was whispered out of church, assaulted and had my door kicked in etc.

I decided to go back to California where I have family. and all was fine for two years, until I was pulled over and asked my name. I was arrested and charged with a felony for failure to register. I posted 3000 dollars bond and the charge was dismissed because of the ex post facto clause. however the officer contacted Kentucky and had them put a warrant for my arrest. . I was chained up in the back of a van for 5 days and nights. I was charged with a felony . and forced to sleep on the floor for 6 months of an overcrowded cell in Bell county Kentucky. I was told that i would be there for up to a year longer before I went to court. the law in Maryland was repealed the day before I was indicted, and the prosecutor named Karen Blondell didn't care and held me for months after she was aware of the repeal anyway. I was forced to plea f my own "free will" while in handcuffs and wearing stripes Or I would be there indefinitely. now I have a felony on my record and if for any reason i am pulled over i will be dragged back to a Kentucky prison . for a 4th degree misdemeanor out of Kentucky that they don't even care about. Kentucky is keeping me on that list because of Florida for life now and Florida says it will not release me from its list because they just wont. Maryland doesn't have me on their list. what can I do about this . I've lost everything I've ever owned and my entire family has turned away from me. i was "sweated " into a plea or i would still be in there right now. everyone I've ever known thinks I'm a pedophile except for the victims family who cannot believe this is happening to me. the dropped the charges even before the first court date. Can I be compensated by anyone for any of this? how can I get off one of those lists? Every time a policeman asks my name they want to charge me with something.

Sincerely James Coulton

No comments :