Sunday, March 17, 2013

IL - I need to know how to go be with my sick father.

The following was sent to us via the contact form and posted with the users permission. The name has been abbreviated for their own protection.

By Anonymous:
Hi, I am an RSO (Registered Sex Offender) in Illinois and my family lives up in Michigan. My father is currently gravely ill and in the hospital. He might not make it and I need to go visit him.

My problem is that it is unclear how to do it without ending up in jail.

I can not move up to Michigan because the requirements would have me transferring all my stuff like my drivers license and other stuff up there and that would take time at the secretary of state and police station that I do not have in an emergency situation. Plus I would not have a place to live anyways.

Does anyone know what the procedure for a temporary visit of less then a week would be?


therealityofitall said...

It is really no different than going on a vacation. You would have to check in with the local police or Sheriff's department upon arrival. In Michigan, you are considered to be "living" somewhere if you stay at that place for a period of peiod 17 days within 1 month. Call the state police. Michigan's State Police have actually been very accomodating thus far to questions.

ILRSO said...

I live in Illinois as an RSO as well and I understand what you are saying. I do not know how you would do it.
As far as I know Illinois law states that if you are gone from your place of residence for more then 3 days in a year (not even consecutive, just 3 days) you have to register a change of address.

That at least is how it was explained to me by my PO.
I hope you find a way and I hope your father is ok.

SOIssues said...

See the following: