Tuesday, October 30, 2012

WA - Controversial ad sparks debate over sex offender registry

Original Article

See the video at the link above. The video below is not from this article, but about this attorney's law firm.


By Jon Humbert

SEATTLE - In some cases, it's "a list for life." The sex offender registry forces convicted criminals to stay in the spotlight.

Not everyone wants to stay there.

"Those two words, 'sex offender,' they make me sick to my stomach," said one such former criminal.

We protected his identity so he could be candid about what he had done. He doesn't want you to forgive him or forget what he did. He just wants you to shift your perception of his crime.

"I did something wrong and I manned up to it. I admitted it in court. I took my punishment," he said.

It was nearly two decades ago, when he was 18-years old. Half his lifetime ago. He says that night he was "drunk beyond anything I've ever been almost to the point of falling down."

He was drunk and out of control with a female friend.

"Kind of in and out of consciousness, not really able to function, and I took advantage of her," he said.

She couldn't give consent. It was a sex crime.

"I agreed. I plead guilty. I did something very wrong," he said.

In the time since, he's been registered as a sex offender, done right by the law and paid his dues. But he wants a change. He wants to get off the sex offender registry.

"Having to be subject to this public embarrassment and scrutiny for the rest of my life -- that seems a little harsh," he said.

Which is where a controversial ad comes in, placed on the back of alternative newspapers. It's from attorney Brad Meryhew.

See Also:
  • eAdvocate's Comments - "Here we see two prespectives, and while I can understand a victim's perspective towards the offender that harmed them, however when that perspective seeks all offenders, we need to be very careful in accepting such a viewpoint. We can never forget, how many adults in society are there that offended in their youth and were never caught? Should they fess up and join the list? Lines of reason need to be established, everyone victim and offender minds need to recognize that, so society can move to a reasonable resolution, helping some along the way."

No comments :