Tuesday, October 18, 2011

CA - Alleged Vigilante Brothers (Miguel & Erik Cerda) Stare Down More Potential Prison Time Than Child Molester

Original Article

10/18/2011

Two Northern California brothers who allegedly beat a child molester after they learned of his attack on an 8-year-old girl may get more time in prison than the molester, The Mercury News reported.

Miguel Cerda, described as a father figure to the girl, and brother Erik Cerda turned down two plea deals that would have brought them one to four years in state prison. Instead, they now face seven years to life in prison if convicted at trial.

Their alleged target, [name withheld], was sentenced earlier this month to 22 years in prison after pleading no contest to two felony counts of sex with a child 14 years old or younger. He reportedly now wants to withdraw his plea and said Monday that he would testify against the brothers, the paper reported.

The brothers are accused of burning [name withheld] with a cigarette, punched him and whipping him. The incident occurred around Thanksgiving last year after the girl woke her mother up at 2 a.m. and said [name withheld], a family friend, had duct-taped her mouth and sexually abused her, the Mercury News reported.

[name withheld]’s testimony likely will involve a detailed account of being beating, but it also will allow defense attorneys to probe deeper into the sexual assault, which potentially could sway jurors to sympathize with the two brothers, the paper reported.

But an 11-hour deal reportedly is still in the works. The most recent offer of four years in state prison with no credit for the six months served was declined.

The Cerda brothers face felony charges that include torture, mayhem, battery, assault and making criminal threats.


FL - Palm Beach County approves closing sexual offender residency loophole

Original Article

I am so sick and tired of the media, police and politicians talking about sex offender laws, and making it seem as if all sex offenders are child molesting, pedophile predators who will do anything to rape and molest kids, that is nothing but pure fear mongering.

Do we also claim all blacks are murderers because a few are? Or that all Mexicans are drug dealers because a few are? Or all Whites are perverts because a few are?

Of course not, so why does all this and all reason just go out the door when you mention the words "SEX OFFENDER?"


10/18/2011

By Andy Reid

Changing rules to include offenders convicted outside Florida

Palm Beach County commissioners on Tuesday agreed to close a loophole that threatened to allow out-of-state sexual offenders to move in and avoid local residency restrictions.

The county since 2006 has imposed limits on where sexual offenders can live to try to keep them away from children (Not all sex offenders have harmed children!). But the Sheriff's Office contends that the wording of the county rule enables sexual offenders convicted out of state to avoid the Palm Beach County's restrictions.

Tuesday's change to county codes would ensure that sexual offender residency restrictions also apply to those convicted in other states and jurisdictions.

The commission is to take final vote on the proposed changes on Nov. 15.

Palm Beach County considers a sexual offender "an extreme threat to public safety," likely to repeat offenses, according to the county code.
- Well, it's all pure BS not based on facts either, just emotions only. This is like calling all felons a extreme threat to public safety because a couple felons are serious threats. And as far as recidivism (commission of another related sex crime), the facts are, sex offenders have one of the lowest recidivism rates of any other criminal, and yet we don't have murderers, gang members, drug dealers, DUI offenders and other felons on a registry and living with draconian laws.

Current county law forbids sexual offenders from living within 2,500 feet of any school, school bus stop, day care center, park playground or other place "children regularly congregate."
- And once again, more hysteria. How many children have actually been sexually assaulted at ANY of these places? I am willing to bet very few, if any. And in some places, children congregate at the local food store parking lot, so would that mean ex-offenders cannot go buy food and must starve to death?

That covers areas outside city limits and mirrors residency prohibitions for sexual offenders in municipalities from Boca Raton to Wellington.

Sexual offenders are required to register with the Sheriff's Office when they move, and it's the Sheriff's Office that enforces the residency rules.

Maximum penalty for breaking those rules is a $500 fines, 60 days in jail and potential violations of probation, which can mean longer jail time.

State law still sets residency restrictions for sexual offenders convicted outside of Florida, but it is less restrictive, requiring them to stay 1,000 feet away from restricted areas, according to the Sheriff's Office.

"If the code is not changed to include offenders not convicted in Florida, those individuals are only subject to the 1,000-foot restriction under state law," Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Teri Barbera said.

Palm Beach County has more than 900 registered sexual offenders, without about 50 joining the list each year, according to the Sheriff's Office.


CA - Riverside County considers Halloween sex-offender ban

Original Article

Again, another fear based article about Halloween that is not based on facts, and they do not say in this article, but it appears this is for all sex offenders, those on or off probation, but I doubt that is true.  And notice how they make it appear as if all sex offenders are child molesting, pedophile predators, as usual?

10/18/2011

Update: Riverside passes Halloween sex offender ban

Riverside County supervisors will consider a measure that would ban sex offenders from putting up Halloween decorations or handing out candy to children.

The urgency ordinance is on the agenda for the supervisors' Tuesday meeting. If passed, it will take effect immediately.

The measure would bar registered sex offenders from answering the door to trick-or-treating children or decorating their homes with Halloween decorations between 12 a.m. and 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 31 each year. Beyond that, they would be prohibited from leaving any external lights on between 5 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. on Halloween night.

Supervisor Jeff Stone, who introduced the ordinance, noted that the cities of Orange and San Jacinto already have similar measures in place.

The Murrieta Police Department has sent out yearly warnings to sex offenders convicted of crimes against children.

"To avoid any unnecessary allegations of impropriety with minors, I strongly suggest you protect yourself by voluntarily refraining from interacting with the children during the trick-or-treat holiday," the letter from Murrieta Police Chief Mark Wright said last year.

The city of Perris voted down a similar proposal after concerns about civil rights violations were raised.


OR - Sex offender registered to Occupy Portland shares story

Original Article

10/18/2011

By Natalie Brand

PORTLAND (KPTV) - A convicted sex offender from California who registered his address at the Occupy Portland camp spoke to FOX 12 about his past and reasons for moving.

"I'm not here to harm children," said [name withheld]. "I'm not harmful to children."

[name withheld] said he left Mendocino, CA, started driving and ended up in Portland. Since last week, he's been living in Lownsdale Square among the dozens of other demonstrators in solidarity with the national Occupy Wall Street movement.

"I found there was an opportunity to maybe change the system and I've put everything I have into it. Here I am," said [name withheld].

As a convicted sex offender, he's required to re-register any time he moves.

"I had 10 days to register with local authorities as a drug felon and as a convicted sex offender. I did this as part of my responsibilities," he told FOX 12.

The Mendocino County Sheriff's Office wouldn't reveal details about [name withheld]' past offense because he isn't required to register publicly on the state's Megan's Law website due to the level of his offense.

However, [name withheld] said it involved a woman he thought was an adult.

"I was under the impression she was 21, as she was drinking in a bar," said [name withheld]. "I got a misdemeanor annoy, harass or molest of a person under the age of 18."

Demonstrators said after learning more about [name withheld]' case, they're not as concerned.

"He's registering as the law requires and he's paid his debt to society," said mother Jennifer Alexander, who stopped by the camp with her family on Monday. "There are plenty of registered sex offenders all over these surrounding blocks. It's not a new thing for this area or Portland."

Dozens of demonstrators, including families with children, remain camped out in the two downtown parks across from City Hall.

Occupy Portland organizers say they're watching out for potential problems, along with Portland police officers, who have maintained a presence in the area.

"I keep an eye out," said Lindsey Walker, who's currently living at the camp. "I know a lot of the folks around here personally, and we're all keeping an eye out. So, we're all making sure everyone is safe."


VA - Four men plead guilty in sex offender harassment incident

Daniel Ray Narron
Original Article

You can click the "DanielNarron" label above to see all related articles on this incident.  He should have received the attempted murder charges, IMO.

10/18/2011

HOPEWELL - A year and a day after an incident in which a registered sex offender was harassed and struck by a car, four men pleaded guilty to reduced charges.

Daniel Ray Narron, 20, who had faced the most serious charges among the men who were charged, pleaded guilty to a felony charge of attempted malicious wounding and misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and hit-and-run.

Narron, who was accused of driving the car that struck the victim, a man from Hopewell who was 52 at the time, was originally charged with attempted first-degree murder, attempted aggravated malicious wounding by a mob and hit-and-run. Prosecutors previously had dropped an additional charge of misuse of sex offender registry information.
- So they are basically saying that if you harass and almost kill a ex-sex offender, you will get a slap on the wrist?

Damon Jerry Silvestro, 21, Eric Brandon Harris, 26, and Thomas W. McCall, 22, who were accused of participating in the attack, pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and failure to report an accident within 24 hours, both misdemeanors. All three had faced felony charges of attempted aggravated malicious wounding by a mob.

Sentencing on those charges was suspended, and the charges will be dismissed for each of the three men if he maintains good behavior for a year.

Narron, who had been held in jail since his bond was revoked on Nov. 19, 2010, received sentences of five years, all suspended, on the malicious wounding charge and one year each, also suspended, on the disorderly conduct and hit-and-run charges. He was expected to be released from jail on Monday. He was also ordered to pay $2,600 in restitution to the victim.

The charges stemmed from an incident on Oct. 16, 2010, when police said the four men confronted and harassed the victim when he tried to enter a Hopewell convenience store. The victim left the store and tried to flee on a moped. Narron and the others followed him in a 2000 Lincoln Navigator that struck the moped near the intersection of Atlantic Street and Hill Avenue.

According to information on the Virginia Sex Offender Registry, the victim was required to register as a sex offender because he pleaded guilty in 2000 in Sussex County Circuit Court to felony charges of abduction for immoral purposes and aggravated sexual battery.


MO - Halloween no treat for some sex offenders

Original Article

Like usual, they make it sound like all sex offenders are child molesting, pedophile predators, which is not true, but you'd not know it if you believed everything the news media says.

These rules also probably do not affect those who are off probation/parole.

Over the last 100 or more years, there has not been a single case of a child being sexually abused on Halloween by a known or unknown sex offender, it's just the usual "fear mongering" based on beliefs instead of facts.

10/18/2011

By Wes Franklin

Neosho - Halloween won’t be much fun for a handful of registered sex offenders living in Newton County.

It’s the third year in row they will be forced to stay inside their homes for most of the night, keep the outside lights off, post signs on or in front of their houses and, most importantly, turn away any and all trick or treaters. Under no circumstances are they to pass out candy. In fact, they must have no Halloween-related contact with kids whatsoever. So no home Halloween parties if there’s a chance youngsters might be there.

The restrictions, however, aren’t based upon any specific sex crime, but rather the date of conviction. And for the vast majority of Newton County sex offenders the rules don’t apply, thanks to a state supreme court ruling.

In 2008, Missouri lawmakers — nervous about allowing convicted sexual deviants actively take part in a holiday centered around kids, candy and disguises — imposed controversial restrictions on what registered sex offenders can and can’t do on Halloween night.

According to the list of do’s and don’ts for Oct. 31 each year, all Missouri sex offenders were to:
  • Avoid all Halloween-related contact with children;
  • Stay inside their homes between the hours of 5 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. unless required to be elsewhere for just cause, including but not limited to employment or medical emergencies;
  • Post a sign at their residence stating, “No candy or treats at this residence.”
  • Leave all outside residential lighting off during the evening hours after 5 p.m.

But last year the Missouri Supreme Court ruled that the restrictions would only apply to sex offenders who were convicted and added to the registry after the law took effect in August 2008.
That means that of the 139 registered sex offenders currently living in Newton County, only 11 this year must abide by the special restrictions on Halloween night.

And it’s up to local authorities to see that they do.

Steve Bock, Newton County deputy sheriff and investigator for the prosecutor’s office, and who coordinates the county’s sex offender program, said that those 11 people will all be paid a visit on Halloween night, but it won’t be by trick-or-treaters.

We follow up on them,” Bock said. “Myself and a couple of other deputies split up the county that night and we check on sex offenders to make sure that they are compliant with the rules for Halloween. We also work with all the local agencies and coordinate with those departments to let them know what guys they need to check on Halloween. And they do that.”

Neosho Police Chief Dave McCracken said that the rules for certain sex offenders on Halloween may not be the easiest thing to enforce, but that his department does its best. He added that Bock has stayed very active and done a good job of coordinating that enforcement throughout the county.

We certainly try to enforce it as best we can on our end, but there are other things that come up, especially on Halloween night,” McCracken said. “But [Bock] works really well with us.”

Newton County Sheriff Ken Copeland said the sex offenders who must abide by the Halloween restrictions are given reminders beforehand.

We make them aware of what they have to do, we do a spot check, if we find somebody that isn’t in compliance we write it up and then it’s up to the county prosecutor to decide just how enforceable that law is as far as filing charges goes,” Copeland said. “But we will be out there on Halloween checking up on them.”


OR - Former Warm Springs officer (Harry Hintsala) accused of sex abuse

Harry Hintsala
Original Article

10/18/2011

WARM SPRINGS (KPTV) - A former police officer and teacher is accused of sexually abusing young girls on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation.

Harry Hintsala, 61, was arraigned in court today on charges of aggravated sexual abuse and abusive sexual contact of minors.

Investigators say he sexually abused five girls between 2007 and 2011, all younger than 12 years old.

Hintsala is a former Warm Springs police officer. He also worked as a supervisor at Warm Springs Children Protective Services and as a teacher for the Head Start program.

The Department of Justice says all of the alleged abuse happened after he retired from those positions.

His trial is set to being Dec. 13. Hintsala was released to a halfway house in the Portland area pending the trial.

The conditions of his release include being prohibited from contact with any minors. He must also wear a GPS monitoring bracelet at all times.

If convicted, Hintsala could face life in prison.