Thursday, June 16, 2011

OR - Sex Offender Registration Bill Passes Oregon Senate

Rep. Kim Thatcher
Original Article

06/16/2011

HB-3204 also passed the House unanimously and it now moves to Governor Kitzhaber’s desk for his signature.

SALEM - The Oregon Senate closed a loophole in state law today regarding sex offender registration by unanimously passing House Bill 3204 (PDF). State Representative Kim Thatcher (R-Keizer, Newberg and St. Paul) sponsored the legislation after learning there were sex offenders who were working and going to school in Oregon who were not required to register.

We’re talking about sex offenders who live out of state but are still employed or attend college in Oregon,” said Thatcher. “Under current law if one of these offenders committed a sex crime in another state they would have to register as a sex offender with the Oregon State Police (OSP) but if they committed the crime in Oregon they would not. HB-3204 makes our laws consistent and requires both categories of offenders to register in Oregon.”

OSP report around 50 sex offenders who reside out of state have been working or attending school in Oregon but were not on the state sex offender registry.

The Oregon District Attorneys Association (ODAA) and the Oregon Department of Justice added another section to the original bill. That language helps clarify the requirements for when and in which county sex offenders much register. An Oregon Court of Appeals case earlier this year pointed out deficiencies in Oregon law.

Our communities have made it clear that the registration of sex offenders is a public safety issue,” said Yamhill County District Attorney Brad Berry, Chair of the ODAA Legislative Committee. “HB-3204 makes important changes to clarify registration for law enforcement, offenders, and the court.”

HB-3204 also passed the House unanimously and it now moves to Governor Kitzhaber’s desk for his signature.


NY - John Walsh admits America's Most Wanted is a franchise

Original Article

06/16/2011

NEW YORK — This week marks the final weekly airing of “America’s Most Wanted” on the Fox network after 23 years and 1,153 fugitives nabbed.

I don’t think it’s hit me yet,” said John Walsh, the host and driving force of what he turned into a nationwide crime watch. “Saturday when I see the last show — that’s gonna be painful.”

But that broadcast, which airs at 9 p.m. EDT, is billed as the season finale — not the series conclusion — on the “AMW” website.

Not surprisingly, this is the same attitude voiced by Walsh.

I’m fighting hard to keep this franchise going,” he said. “It’s a television show that gets ratings AND saves lives, and we’ll find somewhere to keep going. We’re not done.”
- So it's all about the money?  And he's been exploiting his sons death for money for a long time now, and who could give up something that makes you a lot of money?

Speaking by phone Thursday morning, he had just arrived back in Washington from Brazil. There, he was hunting for a pedophile who has been hiding out in Rio de Janeiro for 14 years.

He’s a fake minister who molested tons of boys in Florida,” Walsh said. “I was working with Brazilian police, and I think I’ll get this guy.”

The case will be spotlighted on Saturday’s show, and, as he spoke, Walsh was headed to “AMW” headquarters to supervise editing the segment.

He said he will make some parting remarks at the end of the show, with the promise, “We’re going to land somewhere else.”

And after that?

I’m so used to doing what I’ve done every day for 23 years that I’m still trying to sort it all out,” he said. “But I have many, many offers, a long list I’ve got to wade through and see where we go from here.”

One possibility, he said, is News Corp. sibling Fox News Channel, which that network confirms.

Fox News chairman Roger Ailes “has had preliminary discussions with John Walsh and he’s a fan of ‘America’s Most Wanted,’” said Fox News spokeswoman Irena Briganti, “but nothing has been decided.”

Walsh said he hopes to have a deal in place, probably with a cable network, within two weeks.

This, of course, is the man who mounted a crime-busting crusade in the aftermath of the abduction and murder of his 6-year-old son Adam in 1981. He became an outspoken advocate for tougher laws against sex offenders, more cooperation among law enforcement agencies, and citizen involvement in flushing out fugitives.
- Yes, he's an admitted sex addict, and is going after sex offenders (because they are easy prey) when his sons death had nothing to do with sex offenders or a sex crime, but a sick murderer!

His TV show premiered in April 1988 on the fledgling Fox network and, little more than a year later, it was the first-ever Fox program to rank first in viewership in its time slot. It’s been a fixture on the network ever since, and during the 2010-11 season, was seen by an audience averaging 5 million viewers.

So last month Walsh, 65, was “in shock,” he said, on getting the news that “AMW” had been canceled. The show is too expensive to produce, Fox entertainment head Kevin Reilly explained. The network is planning to air weekly repeats of its prime-time entertainment series in the Saturday slot “AMW” has held for so long.

AMW” isn’t completely disappearing from the network. There will be four, two-hour specials aired next season, Reilly said in making the announcement in May.
- Yep, got to keep pushing the shows to squeeze out all the money you can get.  It was never about getting criminals off the streets, it was about money, IMO.

So far, Walsh said, there have been no discussions with Fox about how and when the specials will be produced. And they won’t preserve the current “AMW” operation, with its 70-plus staff.

I’ve got hotline operators, website guys, reporters, writers, graphic artists, engineers — we’re a full-blown news operation,” Walsh said. “One of the most painful things I’ve got to do is cut everybody loose. Now my first priority is to be sure Fox treats these people fairly, which I think they will.”
- You got all that, or does Fox have all that?

Besides offering “AMW” employees what Walsh calls a “really fair” severance package, Fox has agreed to maintain the telephone hotline and website, which are both essential for receiving tips on fugitives from the public.

Then Walsh hopes “AMW” will soon be settled in a new TV home.

It’s very simple,” he said. “I want to catch bad guys and find missing children — and we’re not done.”


CANADA - Ex-guard (Patrick Joseph Allen) handed 15 months for sex assault on inmate

Original Article

06/16/2011

By Bruce Bartlett

SAINT JOHN - A former guard at the Saint John Regional Correction Centre was sentenced to 15 months behind bars Wednesday for sexual assault.

Patrick Joseph Allen, 48, admitted to having sex with the same male inmate, twice at the jail and two more times later when Allen had changed jobs and was working at the police lockup in City Hall. The encounters at the jail were between 2003 and 2005 and the other two incidents were between 2009 and 2010.

The Crown laid an indictable charge of sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years, because Allen was in a position of trust when the sexual acts took place. The activity came to the attention of city police officers because the lockup at City Hall is a large open area with cells, Titus said. Once the inmate was interviewed the earlier encounters were revealed.

Allen was scheduled to go to trial in February but changed his plea to guilty. He remained free after his guilty plea as his lawyer, Allen Doyle, and prosecutor Chris Titus presented arguments to Judge Anne Jeffries about whether he was eligible for house arrest. Allen, with his face burning red, was escorted by sheriffs from the front row of the courtroom to the prisoner's box when the judge ruled he could not be placed on house arrest.

Although Allen maintains the acts were consensual, as a guard, he was in a position of trust, which means the idea of consent can not be considered, said the prosecutor.

The judge said the inmate, whose name is protected by a publication ban, provided a victim impact statement.

"He states he suffer from mental health disorders and is on medication. He also said he thought he was in a safe environment behind bars and yet was abused by someone who was looking after him."

Doyle said his client deserved to be considered for house arrest because he pleaded guilty, wrote a letter of apology to the victim and has no criminal record. Allen has entered counselling to address his sexual addiction and is dealing with the fact he was sexually abused as a child.

Jeffries said when Allen completes his jail sentence he will be on probation for two years to undergo an assessment of sexual issues and take counselling as directed. His name will also be placed on the registry for sexual offenders.


UK - Strathpeffer woman (Emily MacNicol) fined for false rape claim

Original Article

06/16/2011

A young science student who made false claims of rape and assault to police was fined £300 at Inverness Sheriff Court today.

Emily MacNicol of An-Ard, Upperton Heights of Achterneed, Strathpeffer, made the claims to two Dingwall police officers while at a guest house in Inverness on June 21 last year.

She admitted making the false claims, wasting police time and rendering others to suspicion.

But MacNicol’s solicitor Alison Foggo said it was a "fanciful story" and it was clear that the story had been made up.

She explained to Sheriff Margaret Neilson that MacNicol suffered from a borderline personality disorder, anorexia and depression and what lay behind her claims remained a mystery.

Ms Foggo said the 20-year-old student had been studying bio-chemical science at Strathclyde University but dropped out after one year although her placement was being kept open for her.

The solicitor said she was now home living with her parents but had spent two months as an inpatient in hospital in Aberdeen and a doctor at New Craigs, Hospital in Inverness said she continued to be anxious, suffering depression and anorexia.

MacNicol was not in court and Ms Foggo asked, notwithstanding the gravity of the offence, for the Sheriff to deal with the case by means of financial penalty because MacNicol was not fit for unpaid work.

"She is a troubled and tormented young woman and the ongoing court process is not going to help her nor the people working with her."

Sheriff Neilson agreed and imposed a fine of £300.


AL - State's sex offender laws get tougher

Original Article

What better way to get money than to extort it from sex offenders? Hell, many won't be able to pay the fees in the first place, because they are already broke due to these laws. And now, instead of registering once and pay a fee once, you now have to register four times a year and pay a fee four times a year. Pure extortion!

06/15/2011

By DeWayne Patterson

Gov. Robert Bentley recently signed legislation making Alabama's existing sex offender registration laws tougher.

"They needed to be tougher," said Jackson County Sgt. Investigator Paul Smith, who oversees the county's sex offender registration. "There's some really good changes. At the same time, it's going to double everyone in the state's workload, but that's not a bad thing."

Smith said, effective July 1, sex offenders must register quarterly or four times per year rather than only twice.

Previously, a sex offender moving into Alabama had seven days to register. Smith said that's been changed to immediately.

Sex offenders will now also be required to pay a $10 fee each time of registeration or transfer of residence.
- Yep, extorting money to pay for the laws the government passed, but did not fund.  From the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's web site, they show that there are 12,837 offenders in the state, and $40 per year per offender comes out to $513,480.  Got to pay for the unfunded laws somehow, how about extortion?

Smith said the new law also changes it from a misdemeanor to a felony for a sex offender to deface or alter an identification card.

It will also be a felony to harbor, assist conceal or withhold information about a sex offender.

"We've been screaming about folks hiding offenders for years," said Smith. "Now, they can be charged."

Jackson County currently has 72 adult sex offenders, according to Smith, seven of which are currently incarcerated.