Friday, April 22, 2011

Matchmaking Sites Facing New Bills to Protect Online Daters

Original Article

How ironic, Carol Markin, who is suing Match.com for a bad date, has written several books on the same subject!

Just the usual knee-jerk reaction by politicians. So who is next? See here. I wonder if all these idiots who are okay with this, would submit to having a chip implanted under their skins "for the children" of course? I doubt it!

04/22/2011

By Greg Stacy

Matchmaking sites are facing bills in several states that would require the sites to warn consumers about the potential dangers of online dating.

The bills have been created in response to headlines about sex offenders who have been using the matchmaking sites to find their victims.
- In regards to the Carol Markin incident, it has not been through court yet, and we do not know what she says is indeed true. But nothing like jumping the gun, and eradicating peoples rights to privacy, for a little false sense of security!

Bills are currently pending in Connecticut and Texas. Connecticut's bill would require Internet dating sites to provide a notice that would appear during the registration process, warning online daters not to provide their last name, email address, place of employment, phone number or other identifying information in their dating profiles.
- So like the warning labels for idiots on food, blow dryers, etc, we must warn all the other idiots out there not to do this, when it's pretty common sense.

Similar laws are already in place in New York, Florida and New Jersey.

Legislation now in place in Texas requires online dating sites to announce whether they conduct criminal background checks on site members before they're allowed to contact other site members, with an additional requirement that the site has to remind online daters that criminals can sometimes slip through background checks.
- This is like the fine print on stuff, nobody reads it. The sites should not be responsible for this, the person should be. So much for holding people accountable for their own actions.

Lawmakers in New York are currently mulling a similar bill.

Online dating and social networking sites have increasingly been policing themselves. On Sunday Match.com announced that it would begin screening its users against the national sex offender registry. In 2009 MySpace announced that 90,000 sex offenders had been ID'ed and banned from the site.
- Nothing like discrimination! Why don't we kick off murderers, gang members, terrorists, etc?

Donna Rice Hughes, CEO and president of Enough is Enough, a Virginia- based nonprofit focused on Internet safety, told the Associated Press that these sites need to improve their safety measures.
- No, you need to stop trampling on peoples rights to privacy, and hold people accountable for their own actions. Sites need to start taking this kind of BS to court and DEFEND peoples rights to privacy, etc. Bowing down to pressure to save face, will hurt everyone in the end. Hell, let's make everyone, when they sign up for an internet account, go into a store, to make sure they are not thieves, submit to a background check first, and if they have any kind of record, deny then Internet access. Then let's see how quickly this is shot down!

"A good corporate leader needs to do that," Rice Hughes said. "The last thing they need for business is for somebody to get harmed by something through their site. ... They should be running their database against the sex offender registries. That's a no-brainer."
- For you maybe. But what about all other criminals who are more of a threat? Like gang members, terrorists, etc? Why not screen for all criminals, and if anybody has any record, kick them off? Fair is fair, right?

But there has also been some criticism of the new policies. Alex Vasquez, who founded the blog theurbandater.com, tells the Associated Press that the background checks are bound to be controversial.

"It's definitely going to be a hot-button item because there's definitely that privacy issue," he said.


MO - Police freak out and call the bomb squad over a tear gas grenade at a sex offender's home during a compliance check

Original Article
YouTube Video

Come on, once again, blowing stuff out of proportion. Granted the man probably should not have a tear gas grenade, but it's not a bomb, it's non-lethal. So why did they call in the bomb squad? The video says they found "child porn" on a computer as well, and they are waiting on a warrant? If the man is on probation/parole, then I don't think a warrant is needed, but I could be wrong. And if he's not, then how did they find it in the first place?

04/22/2011

KANSAS CITY - A tear-gas grenade was found in a mobile home Friday during a law enforcement sweep to make sure registered sex offenders were complying with registration laws.

The grenade was found in the 5800 block of Northwest Plaza Drive about 4:30 p.m. KMBC's Maria Antonia reported that a man was taken into custody.

Clay County Sheriff's Office along with 11 Northland law enforcement agencies launched the sweep Friday morning to check addresses of registered sex offenders.

"We know there are over 250 sex offenders living in Clay County. Many offenders are compliant with registry laws, but those who refuse to follow the requirements are a known threat to the safety of people we protect that the Sheriff's Office will not tolerate," Clay County Sheriff Bob Boydston said.
- Just because someone is not following the draconian laws, doesn't mean they are a "known threat to society!" This one man may be dangerous, but not all sex offenders are.


DC - Police Officer (Matthew McMullen) for the Department of Defense pleads guilty for child enticement

Original Article

Notice they do not publish his photo either, but if it was the average citizen, they would.

04/22/2011

WASHINGTON - Matthew McMullen, a 27-year-old police officer working for the Department of the Defense, pled guilty Wednesday to traveling interstate to engage in illicit sexual conduct and enticing a minor, announced U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr., James W. McJunkin, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office, and Cathy L. Lanier, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

McMullen, of California, Md., entered the guilty plea in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. The Honorable Gladys Kessler is to sentence him July 12, 2011. McMullen faces a maximum sentence of 30 years of imprisonment and a fine of $250,000. Under federal sentencing guidelines, he faces a likely sentencing range of 46 to 57 months in prison.

According to the government’s evidence, on February 4, 2011, an undercover officer with the FBI’s Child Exploitation Task Force entered a social network site. The defendant contacted the undercover officer and they subsequently began communicating that day by e-mail. During their conversation, McMullen expressed interest in having sexual contact with an underaged child. The defendant traveled from Maryland to a pre-arranged meeting place in Washington, D.C. When he arrived at the meeting place, he was arrested.

This case was brought as part of the Department of Justice’s Project Safe Childhood initiative and investigated by the FBI’s Child Exploitation Task Force, which includes members of the FBI’s Washington Field Office and MPD. In February 2006, the Attorney General created Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative designed to protect children from online exploitation and abuse. Led by the U.S. Attorney’s Offices, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to better locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as identify and rescue victims.

In announcing the guilty plea, U.S. Attorney Machen, Assistant Director McJunkin and Chief Lanier praised the MPD detectives and special agents of the FBI Child Exploitation Task Force. They also commended Assistant U.S. Attorney Julieanne Himelstein, who is prosecuting the case.


FL - Sex offender charged with exposing himself at registration office, and vigilante Judy Cornett happens to be there

She likes going around educating kids, which is a good thing, but going around hunting sex offenders and harassing them, instead of letting the police do it, is vigilantism, and if I am not mistaken, a crime. She likes calling sex offenders "sick" and "monsters," but I guess she thinks her own son, Jason Flores, is a saint? He is in prison for attempted murder, and was ironically, "unintentionally" placed in the same cell as his abuser, and assaulted him.

What happened to Jason was wrong, and the person who did it, should be punished, but carrying a vendetta against all sex offenders?

What would she do, when her son gets out of prison, if ever, is stalked and harassed on a daily basis by someone? I'm sure she'd not like it very much.

And she claims to be a "Christian," and has on her Facebook page "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you?" Maybe she should take her own advice and let God deal with them.

I wonder if we should contact congress for a attempted murderer registry, and similar laws for Jason to live by? Would you like that Judy?


PA - Ex-Cop (James William Radermacher) Charged In Teen Sex Sting

James William Radermacher
Original Article

04/21/2011

Bridgeville Man Accused Of Propositioning Teens In Internet Chat Rooms

BRIDGEVILLE - Agents from the state attorney general's Child Predator Unit said a former police officer is facing charges after he allegedly propositioned what he thought were teenage girls in an Internet chat room.

James William Radermacher, 48, of Bridgeville, was arrested after a sting involving undercover agents, according to a news release from the attorney general's office.

Radermacher used Internet chat rooms to proposition agents he believed were 13- and 14-year-old girls, according to the criminal complaint.

The criminal complaint says that he sent photos of himself and then offered to send others that were "naughty." He then sent nude pictures to the "teens."

Radermacher was arrested at his home in Bridgeville. He is facing charges that include unlawful contact with a minor and criminal use of a computer.

He was arraigned before District Judge Maureen McGraw-Desmet and jailed in lieu of $75,000 bail.

Police said Radermacher is a former police officer who was recently working as an investigator for an insurance company.