Friday, November 12, 2010

UK - 'Ex raped me' liar (Amanda Bradley), 19, is sent to jail

Original Article

11/12/2010

By GUY PATRICK

A LYING teenager who falsely accused her ex-boyfriend of rape was jailed for 12 months yesterday.

Spiteful Amanda Bradley, 19, texted her new partner to say she had been attacked.

He called police and the 28-year-old ex was arrested while still in Bradley's bedroom.

The accused man insisted Bradley agreed to sex - but had to endure a three-month nightmare before she admitted lying.

Judge Steven Everett told the teenager: "You knew full well you were going to get him into trouble in a very big way."

"It's impossible to imagine just how traumatic it must have been for him."

The judge said Bradley had shown elements of "spite and meanness".

Her ex - who was not identified in court - was subjected to an "intimate" forensic examination after his arrest.

He was interviewed at length and kept in a police cell for 17 hours.

Bradley, of Bolton, spent hours telling a specially-trained officer about her "ordeal". She stuck to her story when interviewed on video but eventually withdrew her complaint.

She said: "I'd just had enough of him. Every time I got a boyfriend he still wanted sex with me."

Bradley had admitted perverting justice.

Det Insp Andy Meeks said after the Bolton Crown Court hearing that "countless hours" were wasted in the police investigation.

He said: "We treat every allegation seriously. Unfortunately, false allegations make a mockery of the experiences suffered by genuine victims."


UK - Teenagers (Rebecca Wood, Johanna Low) made false rape allegation

Original Article

11/12/2010

A teenager dialed 999 and accused her ex-boyfriend of trying to rape her after the pair argued.

Rebecca Wood used a false name to phone the police with friend Johanna Low and the pair, both 17, claimed [name withheld] tried to rape them at his home in East Wemyss.

Police officers were dispatched to the address and found Mr [name withheld] at home with his mother but no sign of any girls.

When Wood and Low were traced, they admitted that they had made up the story.

At Cupar Sheriff Court, they were warned they would have been sent to detention had the investigation gone further.

Both admitted making a false report to police of attempted rape.

The offence was committed in the vicinity of Tentsmuir Forest on June 8 using a mobile phone.

Wood, of Methilhaven Road, Methil, was ordered to undertake 160 hours of community service and Low, of Nelson Street, Tayport, 135 hours.

Depute fiscal Shona McJannett told the court that Tayside Police received the call about 9.20pm and a female claimed Mr [name withheld] had dragged her into his home and was trying to rape her.

Attacked

A second female voice was also heard and both, who claimed they were sisters, said they were being attacked.

When the police arrived at Mr [name withheld]'s home, his mother identified the number of the phone which was used to make the call as belonging to Wood.

Both girls, first offenders, were under the influence of alcohol but the court was told they had since stopped drinking.

Wood's solicitor said her reaction to the argument showed immaturity of judgment and added, "She gave little thought to the consequences of the allegations she was making."

"Miss Wood accepts it was very lucky that the investigation did not go further."

Low claimed she did not know her friend was talking to the police but accepted later the call could not have been to anyone else.

The solicitor said, "The telephone call was made by her co-accused but Miss Low shouted comments of support from the background."

Sheriff Charles Macnair told the pair the perception that evidence of rape victims would not be accepted in court was made worse by false allegations.

"False allegations merely stoke prejudices in relation to what is an extremely serious offence," the sheriff told them.

"Where there are false allegations, they must be dealt with seriously."

"If there had been a serious investigation in relation to [name withheld], I would have had no hesitation even for first offenders in sentencing you to a period of detention."


FL - Former deputy (John Mitchell Tomlinson) convicted of child sex battery, faces 90 years

Original Article

11/11/2010

By Jeff Barker

MILTON — A former Santa Rosa County sheriff’s deputy accused of child sexual battery was convicted Wednesday by a jury at the courthouse where he once served as head of security.

John Mitchell Tomlinson was found guilty of three counts of sexual battery by a custodial authority on a person over the age of 12 and under the age of 18, state attorney Bill Eddins said. The former sheriff’s lieutenant faces 90 years in prison and a future trial on more sex crime charges.

We feel that because of his position of trust in law enforcement and the ongoing nature over many years of this sexual misconduct, we’re gonna ask the judge to impose the maximum penalty,” Eddins said. “We do not believe he should ever walk the streets of the community as a free man again.”

Tomlinson, 47, initially was charged with 120 counts of sexual battery by a custodial authority after the Sheriff’s Office asked the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to take over its investigation. He was placed on paid leave when he was arrested March 9 and fired May 7 after an internal investigation.

Santa Rosa County judges recused themselves from the case because of Tomlinson’s former position at the courthouse, Eddins said. Walton County Circuit Judge Kelvin Wells presided.

The original charges stemmed from incidents involving three children, Eddins said. The state attorney’s office consolidated the charges and narrowed down this week’s trial to charges involving one of the children, but used testimony from the other two.

The prosecution presented a phone recording of a conversation between the victim and Tomlinson, who made “incriminating statements,” Eddins said. He said lawmen are permitted to make such recordings without a warrant or court order if one of the two parties consents.

Tomlinson’s recorded words supported the child’s story, Eddins said. Tomlinson testified in his defense and denied the allegations.

The trial, which started Monday, concluded about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday after the jury deliberated three-and-a-half hours.

Tomlinson’s sentencing is set for Dec. 14. A trial date for his other pending charges has not been set.


MI - Sex Offender Charges Dropped Because Homeless


CA - Panel: California should end sex-offender housing ban

Original Article
Sex Offender Supervision and GPS Monitoring Task Force (PDF)

11/11/2010

By DON THOMPSON

SACRAMENTO - A law enforcement panel is recommending that California voters repeal the residency restrictions for sex offenders they approved four years ago because too many are listed as transient, making them more difficult to monitor.

Jessica's Law (PDF), passed by 70 percent of California voters in 2006, prohibits released sex offenders from living within 2,000 feet of a school or park.

The residency restriction means there are few places the offenders can legally live in many communities. That forces many of them to move frequently, making it difficult for agents to track their whereabouts.

The 17-page report says 2,100 offenders have become transient since voters approved the law. More than a third of paroled offenders are now transient, a 750 percent increase since the law took effect.

"Homeless sex offenders put the public at risk. These offenders are unstable and more difficult to supervise," the draft says.

The report, obtained by The Associated Press, was being prepared for review by the governor's office before its official release, corrections department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said Thursday.

It says sex offenders move frequently and have more trouble finding and keeping jobs. The panel says some residency restrictions should remain for high-risk child molesters, and parole agents should have discretion to restrict where others can live.

The report does not recommend repealing other sections of Jessica's Law, such as requiring that sex offenders' movements be tracked with GPS-linked ankle bracelets or increasing penalties for some sex crimes.

Thornton said she doesn't know whether the corrections department will act on the recommendations or support repealing the residency restrictions.

"We're always trying to improve ourselves," she said. "The task force's recommendation that the housing restrictions be repealed is worthy of discussion, as are all the recommendations in the report."

Corrections Secretary Matthew Cate created the task force this year in response to high-profile crimes committed by paroled sex offenders, including the rapes and murders of two San Diego County teenagers and a kidnapping in Northern California.

The 43-member task force includes parole officials, local law enforcement, victims' representatives and treatment providers.

State Sen. George Runner, R-Lancaster, who co-authored Jessica's Law, said the experts should have tried to improve a law that had overwhelming voter support. For instance, Runner said he would support reducing the 2,000-foot limit in the communities where that restriction makes it difficult for sex offenders to find legal housing.

"A practical solution is not going to back to voters and letting child molesters live across the street from schools. That's just not going to happen," Runner said. "Maybe the 2,000 feet doesn't work in all communities, but in most communities it surely does."

He also disputed that transient sex offenders are more dangerous than others, given that Jessica's Law also requires that their every movement be tracked by GPS.

In many cases, parole agents are being overwhelmed by the data generated by the GPS devices. The panel recommended the corrections department create a monitoring center to evaluate the thousands of daily warnings triggered by the GPS ankle bracelets worn by 6,600 paroled sex offenders.

The bracelets send automatic alerts whenever the batteries run low, if they lose communication, if they are damaged, or if the parolee leaves or enters a restricted area.

Parole agents are asked to respond to every alert. A monitoring center would sort out the alarms, freeing agents to respond only to the most serious ones, the report said.

The panel also recommended the department use new statistical tests to better predict which ex-convicts are most likely to commit new crimes and concentrate its supervision on those offenders, the report said.

The panel also said sex offenders should be required to take lie-detector tests, get more treatment and attach the tracking bracelets before they leave prison instead of within 48 hours after their release.


FL - Woman (Barbara Farris) Could Be Charged For Monitoring Sex Offenders

Original Article
All related posts

11/11/2010

ORANGE COUNTY - A woman could face charges for trying to make sure registered sex offenders were not doing anything wrong on Halloween night.

Barbara Farris went door to door to more than 70 homes where registered sex offenders live in Orange County.

Farris says she wanted to make sure offenders were following state rules that prohibit offenders from passing out candy or decorating their homes on Halloween.
- This is the job of the local police, not vigilante witches like you.

I said - do you have decorations? You're a registered sex offender. And I blatantly asked,” Farris said.

But Farris could now face charges for harassment and misuse of the state sex offender registry following a complaint that she appeared to be impersonating an officer.

I'll be fighting those charges 100 percent,” Farris said.