View the article here
Give me a break. The BS in this article is so obvious. Nothing about these laws will protect people, it will only let them "feel safe" when they are no safer than before these laws were in affect. I believe the Nazi's did this back in the 40's, and we know what occurred there, don't we? Why do you continue to push this BS when it was not proven your son was killed by a sex offender, and FACTS prove these laws do not and are not working? Stop the BS and show the FACTS? Stop exploiting your sons death to make you rich and famous, let him rest in peace! You admitted you had a "sex addiction" and got therapy and was "cured", yet you claim they cannot be cured, so are you cured? You teach people to hate and distrust men. Your intentions are good, but your fear-mongering is total BS! I wish someone would investigate your sons case more, and you as well. What is in your closet Mr. Walsh? Why isn't your wife being brought up on charges of child neglect for leaving your son alone in a shopping mall?
America's Most Wanted understands that there are concerns about the lack of consistency and uniformity in the way that states deal with sex offenders and which offenses may or may not be included in sex offender registries. AMW also understands that there will on occasion be instances in which relatively minor offenses are treated harshly and inconsistently. In fact, that was a prime reason for the Adam Walsh Act.
- There is TONS of minor offenses being treated harshly, because your BS laws treat everyone as if they killed your son, or Jessica Lunsford. You know this, just don't want to admit it. You say above this law was for consistency, yet we do not have it, and leaving it up to the states, it will NEVER be consistent, and again, you know this, you are just grandstanding.
Sex offender registries are not new. The first registry in the country was the California registry, established in the 1940s. Yet, we had reached a situation in which at least 100,000 of the nation's more than 600,000 convicted, registered sex offenders were not complying with the law. Many were literally missing. We were witnessing tragic incidents like the Jessica Lunsford case in which registered offenders with many prior arrests weren't where they were supposed to be, and were preying upon the innocent.
- Yeah, the German Nazi's did this back in the 40's, you mention, and we know what occurred there, don't we? Why don't you check out this article. This is what these laws are all about, isn't it?
We want people to understand how this important law is supposed to help protect children. The Adam Walsh Act is a federal law that is actually made up of individual state laws. Each state has its own sex offender registry and its own laws about how the registry works and what offenders must do to comply with their registration duties. The Adam Walsh Act provides a framework for the states. It is a floor, not a ceiling, and states are permitted to enact registration laws that go beyond the minimum standards of the federal law. While we believe that most registered sex offenders want to, and in fact do, comply with their registration duties, the laws are directed at those offenders who don't register because many seek anonymity and pose the greatest threat to children.
- How is this law going to protect children? It won't. No matter how many laws you put on the books, if someone is intent on murdering someone, abusing a child, doing drugs, they will. Banishment and shaming is a product of Nazi Germany, and now it's here. Welcome to the USSA! And no, these laws are made to PUNISH ALL SEX OFFENDERS, even those obeying the laws. I'm sure the millions of people you are torturing with these very laws can vouch for me on this... You use the word "sex offender" and "threat to children" as if sex offender, pedophile, child molester, rapist all mean the same, they are not. Just because someone is labeled a sex offender, that doesn't mean they have harmed a child. STOP YOUR BS!!!!!!!!
The single most important thing that must happen is that every state should implement the Adam Walsh Act immediately.
- Why? Why the urgency? Do you have some investments somewhere that we should know about, or some hidden agenda? If all 630,000 sex offenders were harming children, at the rate you have spewed about, there would not be hardly any children left, period. You are just spewing lies, grandstanding and exploiting your own sons death. Are the funds there? How do you suggest paying for the billions of dollars it will take to do this? This country is already in debt and will soon crash and burn... Open your eyes for Gods sake!!!
Building A National Standard
In working with Congress on the Adam Walsh Act, our goal was a more unified system of sex offender management throughout the nation. Certain states should not be allowed to become "safe harbors" for sex offenders. We believe that communities in each state should be able to have the same type of information about potential threats to their children. The Adam Walsh Act will ensure this consistency.
- And yet this "unified system" is not happening, and will not work. The last couple years have proven that. You say "communities in each state should be able to have the same type of information about potential threats to their children!", so what about a murderer registry, DUI offender registry, child abuse registry, drug dealer/user registry, etc? These crimes kill more children than sex offenders, especially DUI. So are you for protecting children or punishing just sex offenders? Tell the truth Mr. Walsh!! Also, how is the Adam Walsh Act going to "ENSURE" this? It won't and you know that!
The intent of the Adam Walsh Act is simply to protect our children from predators. It is a vast improvement over the current patchwork of registries across the nation, a system filled with holes and gaps. We recognize that it may not address every situation relating to specific offenders and like any law, could have unintended consequences.
- Ok, you say predators above, but these very laws punish ALL SEX OFFENDERS. So what do you really mean Mr. Walsh? Holes and Gaps? Care to mention any of those "holes and gaps?" You also say above "may not address every situation!" But I thought you said it would ENSURE this? So are you lying? And this "unintended consequences" BS is just that, BS! You know what the unintended consequences are, these laws have been on the books for years, so you should know exactly what those are. They are no longer unintended, that are known consequences!!! What are those unintended consequences you mention? Suicide, death, vigilante attacks, harassment, loss of housing, jobs, the list is endless.
If there are problems with implementation of the Adam Walsh Act at the state and local level, we urge state lawmakers to take a close look at whether their state laws are inadvertently creating situations that do not further the goal of protecting children.
Nonetheless, we remain convinced that the single most important thing that must happen is that every state should implement the Adam Walsh Act immediately. States have three years to implement its provisions. In addition, Congress and the President must provide the funding authorized under the Act to enhance the ability of federal and state authorities to manage our growing population of sex offenders. We are committed to full, fair and uniform compliance across the country and will continue to work to ensure that it happens. Our children deserve nothing less.
- I thought the deadline was 2009? That is one year. Did someone extend this deadline to 2011 now? Also, you failed to mention, if they do not, they will not get grant money, and even if they do, they will not get funding, so what is the incentive? This is basically bribery, which is a crime the last time I checked. Also, why is the number of sex offenders growing? It is those unknown people out there who have not been caught or committed a crime yet. So if we are at 630,000 now, what will this be in 5 or 10 years from now? Well over 1 million. Why are we not looking at therapy (if it worked for you, it should work for a majority of these people)? We need to determine why this is occurring, not just lock em' up and throw away the key. You could kill every single one of them right this minute, and more would follow. This has been around since the dawn of time. I'm not saying it's right, or ok, but just pointing out the facts. What are you going to do to fix this mess?? Nothing I see!