|Click the enlarge|
Will he be held accountable when an ex-offender or their family/children are harassed or murdered due to these signs? This is what happens (Video) when you do stuff like he is doing. Click the "ShamingSigns" below this post title for all related articles.
By Leslie Coursey
STARKE - "I don't want another victim," Sheriff Gordon Smith (Facebook) says it's that simple.
To alleviate any confusion parents might have about where sexual predators live, he's posting big red signs (SkyDrive, Facebook), bearing the predator's names, in front of their homes.
"If you're selling Girl Scout cookies, if you're selling whatever, you'll know at that door lives a sexual predator," he said.
The sheriff says the idea came from his staff. He said parents kept calling with concerns. And when they looked, he said "We had more sexual predators in our community than all those other counties, comparable to our size, we had more than all them together. So that's an issue."
Florida law states, as Sheriff, he can notify his community about sexual predators any way he sees fit.
"And as I see fit means putting up a sign," he said.
And if the predators have a problem with it, he said, "If they don't like it, they got an option. Leave!"
The Sheriff's Office says the signs cost less than $10 a piece. They'll use inmate labor to post them this week, making the burden on the taxpayer minimal.
The signs will only be posted at the homes of sexual predators, not sex offenders. The difference is that a predator is a either a repeat offender and/or their crimes are violent with a victim under 12.
- (01/05/2010) Jail deputy charged with child sex abuse
- (06/28/2011) Bradford County Corrections Officer Arrested for Attempted Murder
- (02/07/2012) Bradford school resource officer accused of sex with student
- (02/22/2013) Former prison officer on Bradford most-wanted list arrested in Puerto Rico
- (04/08/2013) Reserve Deputy arrested for domestic battery
- (04/23/2013) Signs Force Sex Predators Out of Florida County
- (05/09/2013) Informational Post: Listing Cases Which Require -Sex Offenders and Felons- to Post Signs Around Homes