By DENISE CIVILETTI
Residents of Riverhead and Westhampton who've been waiting more than seven years for the county government to relocate the homeless sex offender trailers "temporarily" placed in their communities learned one thing at Wednesday night's community meeting on the topic: they'd have to wait one more day to find out what County Executive Steve Bellone intends to do about it.
Bellone, who missed a self-imposed Dec. 31 deadline to close the trailers — a pledge made last May at a press conference in Southampton Town Hall — earlier this month promised to deliver his plan to close the trailers to the legislature by month's end.
Residents at Wednesday night's meeting learned Bellone's plan will be unveiled Thursday morning at 9:30 — in Hauppauge.
Bellone did not attend the meeting, held in the legislative auditorium at the county center in Riverside. He sent a representative to sit in "as an observer," who did not speak to the public.
County Legislator Jay Schneiderman (I-Montauk), who called the community meeting, said he spoke with the county executive Wednesday morning and what he learned of the plan sounded good, though he was not provided with a lot of detail, he said.
Schneiderman said he was told the plan would be detailed by Suffolk County Police and Laura Ahearn, executive director of the nonprofit organization Parents for Megan's Law at a meeting of the legislature's public safety committee in Hauppauge set for 9:30 a.m. Thursday morning.
"Obviously I would have liked to have had the information sooner, in time for this meeting," Schneiderman said. "It's hard to comment on a plan I haven't seen," Schneiderman said. "I was with the county executive today and I tried to get as much information as I could. I don't have the details other than I'm told there will be no more than one homeless sex offender in any one community," Schneiderman said.
- Suffolk County Changes Course On Homeless Sex Offender Housing Plan
- In 2 Trailers, the Neighbors Nobody Wants