|Click the image to visit the site|
Pro Bono Net is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City.
There mission is to increase access to justice through innovative uses of technology and increased volunteer lawyer participation.
They do not provide lawyer referrals, however, they maintain information on Pro-Bono services in each State. A separate link, LawHelp.org provides legal and lawyer referral information. .
Currently have member lawyers in 17 states and the District of Columbia.
Free newsletter on their activities, which includes ongoing development of a National Pro-Bono Guide in conjunction with the American Bar Association (ABA).
- Attorney Search by State, Province, or Local Area
- Criminal Law Guide
- Flex Your Rights - Frequently Asked Questions (READ!!!)
- Google Criminal Lawyer Search
- Live Criminal Lawyer Search (Microsoft)
- Yahoo Criminal Lawyer Search
Here is a handy checklist of basic questions to ask before you hire a lawyer:
- What is your experience in this field?
- Have you handled matters like mine?
- What are the possible outcomes of my case?
- What are my alternatives in resolving the matter?
- Approximately how long will it take to resolve?
- Do you recommend mediation or arbitration?
- What are your rates and how often will you bill me?
- What is a ballpark figure for the total bill, including fees and expenses?
- How will you keep me informed of progress?
- What kind of approach will you take to resolve the matter - aggressive and unyielding, or will you be more inclined to reach a reasonable settlement?
- Who else in the office will be working on my case?
- Can junior attorneys or paralegals in the office handle some of the substantive legal work at a lower rate?