Sunday, April 8, 2007

Police Harassment in Australia

This is from an email sent to me from a user from a support group, and is their actual experience.

I was driving to the hills with my new girlfriend for a walk through the tracks and I was pulled over by the cops because I ran an amber light. They reckon I had time to stop. Well sure if I had locked it up...

Anyway as usual they did a name check for warrants or inquiries and for some reason when discovering that I had a record they asked what it was for.

The senior officer then asked me to get out of the car and took me to the back of his police car. He then got right in my face and started asking me, really fast, "What's her name... How old is she... How long have you know her?" I couldn't believe what was happening. I thought this kind of stuff only happened in America.

He then put me in the back of his car and told me to, "stay put."

I heard what he was saying on the radio because I was in the car, and they were asking for a secure vehicle to come to their location. I couldn't believe they were going to take me back to the station.

They took me back and said they didn't believe her age and wanted to check for themselves. She didn't have her license because we were going for a walk along the tracks.

They rang her mother and spoke to her rather rudely. For 20 minutes I overheard the constable say to the senior officer, "So do we apologize to him?" and then senior officer replied, "No not all all. He's know this is what he gets for being a sex offender."

They came and got me and said they were going to take me back to my car. When I asked about my girlfriend they said her mother was going to be picking her up. I didn't know what they had told her, if anything.

As we were walking to the car I said, "Thanks for stuffing up our day," and the senior officer just started. "How do you think the kids you molested are doing. Are they having a good day."

Anyway to cut the story short I got back to the car and rang my girlfriend. She said that her mother was coming to pick her up. I then asked if I should call again and she said, "No."

The following day being Monday I rang up my case manager at ANCOR. The Australian sex offender registry and told them what had happened. She was horrified and demanded that I tell her his regimental number and she was going to ring him and have a talk to him.

When I gave her the number she said that she's not going to ring but her boss, the Detective sargeant would be better off. I know him and he's pretty good at getting the message across very sternly.

A week has gone by now and I finally spoke to her again after I was told she had overdosed on some medication because things were getting to much for her. I saw her in the hospital and that's where she told me that the cops told her that I was a child molester. That they saved my life. They told her that I was going to take her to the hills and kill and possibly rape her.

As you can imagine, she was terrified. I had no idea that she was told this until just yesterday.

Cops are not allowed to divulge anyone else's criminal record and he went a step further and made up a story that I was going to kill her.

I am seriously considering legal action from this. She is willing to make a statement in regards to what the cops told her.

When we break the law, we get punished by whatever means and the same should apply to the cops, in fact they are under more scrutiny than we are.



1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Do you have a link for this story? If true this should be spread far more.